City of Abilene, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Maintenance Specialist I/II-Recreation
at City of Abilene, Texas
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Under the direction of the Recreation Division Administrator, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled specialized work involved in the maintenance, service, and repair of parks and recreation facilities, senior center, activity buildings, tennis center, splash pads, and/or aquatic facilities.
This position exercises no supervisory responsibilities.
- Examples of Duties
- Work closely with Parks Division Maintenance Specialists on all indoor and outdoor projects.
Oversee various outsourced maintenance projects to include seeking bids, reviewing blueprints or plans, and inspecting the work.
Maintain buildings to include painting, carpentry, and general repair.
Maintains records of materials used, calculates material and labor costs, and orders parts and supplies to complete work orders.
Perform preventive maintenance as required to include plumbing, electrical, and aquatic.
Provides assistance for special events and camps as needed.
Performs other duties as may be assigned to assist with Parks, Recreation, Senior Services, and Community Services Department, etc.
Manage incoming work orders and complete work in a timely manner.
Provides quality customer service to city staff, the general public, and all other work
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Typical Qualifications
Basic plumbing, carpentry, electrical, masonry, mechanical maintenance and repair tasks.
Safety procedures and protocols to include plumbing, electrical, and carpentry codes.
Building and renovation codes to include American Disabilities Act and City of Abilene Building Codes.
Read memos, instructions, professional development material, warning labels, and technical manuals.
Make accurate calculation for repairs, figures for budgets and bids.
Planning and organizing priorities for seasonal maintenance practices.
Use a variety of equipment that could include power tools, pressure washer, welding tools, and others similar machinery.
Maintain safety protocol and keep work site and shop clean and safe.
Learn to perform a variety of manual tasks related to assigned duties.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Values.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Building Maintenance Specialist I
At least one (1) year of commercial/residential general building maintenance experience, which includes carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and construction experience is required.
Building Maintenance Specialist II
Two (2) years of commercial/residential general building maintenance experience, which includes carpentry, plumbing, electrical and construction experience is required.
Pool maintenance experience is preferred.
A High School diploma or GED is required.
License or Certificate:
A valid Texas Driver's License is required.
Ability to work flexible hours including mornings, nights, and weekends.
Work environment includes the possibility of working outdoors in extreme heat and cold.
Must be able to lift, carry, and pull 50 pounds.
- Supplemental Information
- City of Abilene Core ValuesRespect
- Demonstrating through our actions that we hold ourselves and our citizens in high enough regard to do what we say we will do, in the timeframe we commit to.
- Recognizing that everyone has dignity and deserves helpful, courteous, and prompt attention.
- Consistently doing what is necessary, expected, and required, and when able to do so, exceeding expectations.
- Possessing an unwavering commitment to doing the right things right.
- Consistently adhering to high professional and ethical standards.
- Keeping commitments to our citizens, co-workers, and others.
Service Above Self
- Being open and approachable to council members, citizens, and our fellow employees at all times.
- Treating our customers like we would like to be treated.
- Fostering a servant's heart in ourselves and each other by conscientiously doing what is best for the community in all cases.
- Passionately committed to serving others.
- Helping to make our citizens' lives better.
- Finding ways to say yes.
Excellence in All We Do
- Delivering on promises made, taking personal responsibility for achieving community-minded goals.
- Leading by example, recognizing the importance of working together to meet everyone's needs, treating everyone with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
- Sharing resources and information freely.
- Communicating regularly and honestly with council members, citizens, and employees.
- Having a can-do attitude.