City of Abilene, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Meter Reader I - TE
at City of Abilene, Texas
OPEN UNTIL FILLED PAY RATE DOE + Q
Under general supervision, to perform field work involved in reading water meters and recording water consumption for utility service customers.
This position exercises no supervision.
- Examples of Duties
Accurately read water meters on assigned routes, normally at curb and alley locations; accurately record readings on a hand held data device; make necessary calculations.
Check to determine conditions of water meters; report visible meter defects, leaks, and related problems in the form of a trouble code or service order.
Check meters that should be off; report any illegal use of water.
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Typical Qualifications
Safe driving principles and practices.
Operate a hand held meter reading device.
Learn geography and street locations of the City.
Collect and maintain detailed records on hand held data device
Accurately enter water meter readings into hand held data recorder
Identify defects in water meters.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
This is an entry-level position. No experience is required.
A high school diploma or GED is required.
License or Certificate:
A valid Texas driver's license, the ability to obtain one within ten (10) days of employment, or a military waiver is required.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to stand, walk long distances, kneel, crouch, stoop, and squat.
Exposure to cold, heat, and outdoor hazards.
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Supplemental Information
- City of Abilene Core Values
- Demonstrating through our actions that we hold ourselves and our citizens in high enough regard to do what we say we will do, in the timeframe we commit to.
- Recognizing that everyone has dignity and deserves helpful, courteous, and prompt attention.
- Consistently doing what is necessary, expected, and required, and when able to do so, exceeding expectations.
- Possessing an unwavering commitment to doing the right things right.
- Consistently adhering to high professional and ethical standards.
- Keeping commitments to our citizens, co-workers, and others.
- Being open and approachable to council members, citizens, and our fellow employees at all times.
- Treating our customers like we would like to be treated.
- Fostering a servant's heart in ourselves and each other by conscientiously doing what is best for the community in all cases.
- Passionately committed to serving others.
- Helping to make our citizens' lives better.
- Finding ways to say yes.
- Delivering on promises made, taking personal responsibility for achieving community-minded goals.
- Leading by example, recognizing the importance of working together to meet everyone's needs, treating everyone with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
- Sharing resources and information freely.
- Communicating regularly and honestly with council members, citizens, and employees.
- Having a can-do attitude.