City of Laredo, TX
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Development Services Director, (B191510-6), R43, Building Inspections
at City of Laredo, TX
- Job Summary
SALARY: Negotiable depending on qualifications and experience
To ensure all development and construction is done according to plans, specifications, and international codes. Provides direction and supervision to the Building Inspections, Development Review Engineering, Code Enforcement, Public Right of Way, Zoning, and Geographic Information System, divisions of the Building Development Services Department.
- Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of construction, architecture, engineering, law, management, and code certifications.
- Knowledge of state and local building and international codes as enforced by the city.
- Knowledge of public administration, personnel, budgeting, and public relations.
- Ability to understand the legal process, basis of city ordinances, and international codes, and their implications and limitations within the law.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing in the English and Spanish language.
- Ability to deal courteously and diplomatically with the public.
- Ability to speak before public groups and make presentations.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned staff.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office, library, computer room, stockroom, or warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements, such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress, solvents, dirt, grease, oils, silica, asbestos, dust, constant noise, pneumatic vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely with others or alone, working long or irregular working hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and traveling by car 50% of the time and by plane 1% of the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office equipment, and mechanical equipment; Work requires light carrying (under 15 pounds), occasional lifting (between 25-50 pounds), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direction, coordination, and monitoring of operations for the Building, Zoning, Public Right of Way, Building Development Review, and Geographic Information System (GIS) divisions.
- Assists staff on the review of all construction plans for residential, commercial buildings, and subdivisions, including street design, water and wastewater systems, and drainage and elevations when conflicts exists and makes final decisions.
- Meets with engineers and contractors entities to ensure preliminary designs meet all building codes, engineering principles, city ordinances, and state and federal laws.
- Does all hiring within the department; provides and ensures all staff members receive proper training to maintain current licenses.
- Works with all City departments and other governmental agencies to achieve successful coordination and permits for all engineering and construction projects.
- Prepares and monitors accurate reports and documents (permits).
- Writes ordinances that pertain to Building, Zoning, Right of Way, GIS, One Stop Shop, and Land Development Code.
- Prepares departmental budget for all divisions within the department.
- Makes presentations to the general public, City Administration, and Mayor and City Council.
- Must attending City Council Meetings.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Engineering, Building Science, Business Administration, or related field.
At least seven (7) years of experience as an architect, engineer, inspector, contractor, or superintendent of construction of which four (4) would have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Valid Licenses and Certifications
Registered Architect License is desirable.
Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) License is desirable.
International Code Council Certifications are desirable.
Valid Texas Driver License*
*If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 727-6460 two days prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."