City of Laredo, TX
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Groundskeeper, (B194120-7), R23, Water Treatment
at City of Laredo, TX
- Job Summary
- Revised: 10/01/2019
Performs routine manual maintenance of grounds and facilities; maintains grass, trees, weeds, sidewalks, and restrooms; ensures the grounds are maintained in a clean, neat and safe manner.
- Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of hand and small power tools.
- Ability to perform grounds and building maintenance activities efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned staff.
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally in the English or Spanish languages.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed inside and/or outside a stockroom or warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: solvents and dirt. Capable of working closely with others or alone, working long or irregular working hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and traveling by car or van 80% of the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle; Work requires light carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 24 pounds), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of general grounds maintenance duties such as: mowing lawns, edging, raking, fertilizing, watering, maintaining planted areas, planting annuals and shrubbery, weeding and edging flower beds, and trimming shrubbery.
- Performs maintenance and repair activities on building structures and equipment.
- Performs minor plumbing repairs to facility buildings.
- Transports and operates a variety of special equipment including tractor, chain saw, riding mowers, push mowers, edgers, blowers, string trimmers, sod cutting machine, tilling attachments, etc.
- Applies fertilizers and herbicides.
- Performs street and sidewalk cleaning and removal of trash from buildings and grounds.
- Operates grounds-keeping equipment, power tools, and hand tools.
- Performs strenuous physical labor often in adverse conditions.
- Prepares surfaces and paints water facilities such as equipment, piping, and buildings (interior and exterior).
- Completes all assigned work orders.
- Supports City of Laredo's commitment to safety by complying with the programs regarding health, safety, and protection of the environment. Demonstrates safe work practices, takes part in safety meetings, and advises the supervisor of any non-conforming conditions.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff, visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone communications.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
At least six (6) months of experience performing grounds and/or building maintenance work.
- Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
*If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 727-6460 two days prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."