City of Laredo, TX
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Truck Driver, (B192720-4), R26, Maintenance
at City of Laredo, TX
- Job Summary
Operates one or more types of trucks and assists with all labor duties in the construction, repair, and maintenance of city streets.
- Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in equipment operation.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety rules and precautions of operating heavy equipment.
- Ability to read and follow route maps.
- Ability to work safely without presenting a direct threat to the incumbent of others.
- Ability to travel across uneven or rocky surfaces in streets.
- Ability to plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate the work of subordinates.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established polices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned staff.
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Commercial Driver License and a good driving record.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in the English language.
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
- Required to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
- Ability to perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office, library, computer room, stockroom, or warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements, such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress, contagious infectious disease, irritating chemicals, life-threatening situations, dry atmosphere, solvents, dirt, grease, oils, silica, asbestos, dust, constant noise, pneumatic vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely with others or alone, working long or irregular working hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and traveling by car or van 80% of the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office equipment, and mechanical equipment; Work requires light to heavy carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 45 pounds and over), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Hauls materials and equipment to each job site; checks fluid levels in equipment before departing for job site.
- Drives a truck hauling patch materials for street repairs; shovels patch into holes and rolls the patch until flat; fills holes with hot mix, cold mix, or concrete.
- Plans, assigns, reviews, instructs, and trains in correct methods and procedures; completes vehicle inspection on a daily basis.
- Cleans streets with a street sweeper; operates a truck loader, ditches material, and performs dump truck maintenance duties.
- Checks drains and ditches for any blockage; removes obstructions with a chain saw or hand saw; cleans ditches periodically and after heavy rains.
- Repairs and replaces damaged street signs; builds forms, fences, and barricades for use by the street department.
- May assist in performing unskilled or semi-skilled labor such as digging ditches, covering ditches, pouring concrete, mowing, trimming trees, shrubs, and all other duties as needed to perform paving projects.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff, visitors and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone communications.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
At least one (1) year of truck driving experience or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Valid Licenses and Certifications
A valid Texas Commercial Driver License (CDL) class A or B and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record*
*If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 727-6460 two days prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable."AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."