City of Lubbock
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lineman Journey (Electric Street Lighting)
at City of Lubbock
Perform journey-level work in the construction, maintenance, and repair of overhead electric power, underground electric power, transmission, distribution, and related facilities.
- Essential Functions
- Climb poles and operate aerial devices at various heights above the ground installing and replacing primary and secondary lines and line equipment frequently while distribution primaries are energized. Terminates high voltage cable and repairs high voltage equipment;
- Installs line equipment such as transformers, switches, cut outs, disconnects, lighting arrestors, insulators, circuit breakers, street light fixtures, and other line apparatus;
- Installs, hooks up, and maintains pole mounted transformer bank or station serving large industrial customers and residential sections. Builds substations and installs large electrical equipment;
- Reconstructs existing primary lines, fittings, transfer wires, and cable;
- Phases, rotates, and installs new circuit in overhead and underground lines;
- Switches load from one primary to another by closing and opening disconnects and/or oil switches;
- Relieves trouble lineman as assigned;
- Installs underground cable and transformers;
- Instructs and trains apprentice linemen and groundmen;
- Performs the duties of the foreman in their absence as well as other assigned duties.
Graduation from high school or equivalent with an additional four years experience as an apprentice lineman or any combination of relevant education and experience that provides the following:
Physical Exam RequiredValid Current Commercial Driver's License
Four years experience as an apprentice lineman with an additional two years experience as a journeyman lineman, including four years pole climbing experience and two years experience working energized lines of 7200 volts or more.
Special skills required for Overhead Lineman:
- Must be able to climb and work off of poles for extended period of time;
- Must be able to work live energized lines off of pole;
- Have knowledge and skills to operate all types of equipment used to perform line work (bucket trucks, hole diggers, cranes and wire pulling equipment);
- Extensive knowledge of transformer installations used in overhead construction;
- Able to sag wire to industry standards after it has been pulled in;
- Able to conduct a tailboard discussion and complete a job if the foreman is absent;
- Ability to work safely in hazardous conditions and follow safety rules;
- Must be able to read and understand drawings and maps
- Knowledge and Abilities
- Work on high poles and perform strenuous work under emergency and all weather conditions;
- Install transformers and set poles;
- Coordinate eye, hand, and foot movement in order to operate a vehicle;
- Communicate effectively with others;
- Operate the following machines and equipment: hand tools, power tools, backhoe, boom truck, circular saw, and climbing equipment.
- Continuously lift and carry up to 25 pounds;
- Frequently lift and carry up to 50 pounds;
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 10 pounds;
- Frequently stand and walk during a shift;
- Continuously climb ladders, stairs, poles and inclined surfaces;
- Frequently bend and kneel during the shift;
- Push and pull objects such as wire and poles;
- Flex upper trunk forward at the waist and partially flex at the knees;
- Rotate upper trunk to the right or left while sitting or standing;
- Raise arm above, at or below shoulder height.